Thursday, January 19, 2012

Crayons







Book Suggestions:

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
The Crayon Box that Talked by Shane Derolf
Wax to Crayons by Inez Snyder
The Crayon Counting Book by Pam Munoz Ryan
A Day with no Crayons by Elizabeth Rusch
My Imagination Kit by Jeffrey Fulmer

Activities:

Count Crayons:
Materials: box of crayons
Description: Have your toddler open a box of crayons and count each crayon as they take it out of the box. When they are finished counting have them name each color.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to count, teach your tot color recognition, teach your tot motor skill development



Broken Crayons:
Materials: old broken crayons (paper peeled off), muffin tins
Description: you and your toddler can turn old broken crayons into new ones. Simply divide all your old broken crayons (make sure that you take all the paper off the crayons) into muffin tins. You could do all of one color in each tin or mix the colors. Bake the crayons on about 350 until they look liquidity. Remove the muffin tin and put in the freezer for 30-45 minutes. They crayons should pop out and be ready to use again.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot tot reduce reuse recycle, each your tot motor skill development, teach your tot to sort by color


The Color of Things:
Materials: an 8 box of crayons, pictures of everyday objects
Description: Prior to doing this activity, print or draw pictures of everyday objects for your toddler to color. Show your toddler each picture and have them tell you what color it should be (for example, show them a picture of a tree and see if they can tell you that it should be green. Show them a picture of the sun and see if they can tell you that it should be yellow). Have your little one color each picture the correct colors.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot color recognition, teach your tot to understand that different objects are different colors, teach your tot motor skill development (coloring), teach your tot language development


Wall Art:
Materials: crayons, large piece of paper (butcher paper or a roll of paper would work best)
Description: Crayons are a great tool to enhance your toddler's imagination and creativity. Even if they cannot draw objects that actually look like anything yet. Hang a large piece of paper over a wall in a room in your house and let your toddler's imagination run wild. Have them draw, using crayons, all over the paper, creating a huge mural in your house. As they draw and color ask them about their pictures. Have them tell you what they are drawing and why.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to create, teach your tot motor skill development, teach your tot language development

Box of Crayons:
Materials: construction paper, glue, Popsicle sticks
Description: Cut out crayons shapes from a variety of different color construction paper. Show each one to your toddler and see if they can tell you what colors they are. Write each color onto each paper crayon. Have your little one help you glue Popsicle sticks onto each crayon. Sing the song Colors in My Crayon Box (found below in Songs and Fingerplay) and hold up each crayon (by the Popsicle stick) as you sing about it. When you have done this several times, have your toddler hold up the different crayons as you both sing about them.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot color recognition, teach your tot color/color word association, teach your tot motor skill development, teach your tot language development


Color Book:
Materials: white paper, crayons, a 4X6 mini album
Description: You and your toddler can make a cute color book together using an 8 count box of crayons and some paper. Cut paper into 4X6 pieces. Have your toddler close their eyes and pick a crayon from the box of crayons. Have your little one tell you what color it is. Have them color one of the pieces of paper using that crayon. Write the color word on the piece of paper also. Continue doing this until all the crayons have been picked. Slide all 8 sheets of paper into a 4X6 album and read the color book over and over to your toddler. (You could use more than just 8 crayons if you want)
Skills Targeted: teach your tot color recognition, teach your tot color/color word association, teach your tot language development


Bathtub Crayons:
Materials: bathtub crayons
Description: Bath time can be a great learning time. Have your toddler get creative drawing all over the bathtub walls using bathtub crayons! As they are doing this, talk about each different color that they use. They can even practice writing their name while getting clean!
Skills Targeted: teach your tot color recognition, teach your tot pre-writing skills, teach your tot language development, teach your tot to create, teach your tot to use their imagination

Sort Crayons:
Materials: a variety of crayons (whole or broken pieces)
Description: Give your toddler a pile of crayons and help them sort them by color. Count each pile of crayon and talk about what color has the most and which one has the least.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to sort by color, teach your tot to count, teach your tot to compare and contrast, teach your tot to understand more and less, teach your tot language development


Songs and Fingerplays:

Colors in my Crayon Box:
Sung to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb

I had a box of crayons,
box of crayons,
box of crayons.
I had a box of crayons,
One of them was blue.

I had a box of crayons,
box of crayons
box of crayons.
I had a box of crayons
One of them was red.

I had a box of crayons,
box of crayons,
box of crayons,
I had a box of crayons
One of them was green.

Continue this song for different colors of your choice.

I see a Box full of Crayons:
sung to the tune of How Much is that Doggy in the Window

I see a box full of crayons.
I see colors green, red and blue
I see a box full of crayons
I love these colors don't you.

I see a pretty blue crayon.
I use it to color the sky.
I see a pretty blue crayon.
I can color a blue bird flying by.

I see a pretty red crayon.
I use it to color a rose.
I see a pretty red crayon.
It is the color I chose.

I see a pretty green crayon.
I use it to color a tree.
I see a pretty green crayon.
There's no other color for me.

I see a pretty yellow crayon.
I use it to color the sun.
I see a pretty yellow crayon.
I will put it back when I'm done.

I see a pretty orange crayon.
I use it to color a carrot.
I see a pretty orange crayon.
I can also color wings on a parrot.

Online Fun:

Coloring:
Check out http://www.coloring.ws/ for a free printable coloring page.

Crayola:
Check out http://www.crayola.com/ for coloring pages, craft ideas, games and more.

Videos:
Visit Sesame Street Online for awesome videos about crayons and more.

Making Crayons

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas!!! Where can I find the revolving plastic container that has the crayons? Thanks!

Teach Your Tot said...

I believe we got that at Wal-mart! It came with the crayons in it already. Crayola makes it and it is GREAT for storage and easy access! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...