Friday, December 2, 2011

Ears/Hearing

Book Suggestions:

The Ear Book by Al Perkins
My Five Senses by Aliki
The Ears by Beth Ferguson
Hearing by Maria Rius
I Hear by Helen Oxenbury
My Ears by Lloyd G. Douglas
Whose Ears Are These? by Peg Hall
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What do you Hear? by Eric Carle
Hearing by Helen Frost

Activities:

Loud and Soft:
Materials: radio
Description: Play some music for your toddler on the radio. Talk about the words loud and soft (or quiet) with your toddler. Demonstrate loud, by turning the radio up loud. Demonstrate the word quiet by turning the radio down quiet. After doing this several times, you and toddler to act out the words loud and quiet by yelling loud and whispering quietly.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot to compare and contrast loud and quiet, teach your tot to develop and understanding of the opposites loud and quiet

Shape Face:
Materials: construction paper, scissors, glue
Description: Cut out several shapes from the construction paper (you will need a large shape for the face, two shapes for the eyes, a shape for the nose and mouth, and two shapes for the ears. Show your toddler all the different shapes and have them name the shapes and colors. Your toddler can create a face by gluing the shapes together. Talk about each body part (eyes, nose, mouth, ears) and what it does as they glue them on.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot color recognition, teach your tot shape recognition, teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot to develop an understanding of their different body parts




Shakers:
Materials: several empty water bottle, rocks, rice, pennies, jingle bells
Description: You and your toddler can create several different shakers together. Have your toddler fill and empty water bottles with rocks (count the rocks as they put them into the bottle). Your toddler can also fill a water bottle with rice, one with pennies, one with jingle bell etc. (You can hot glue the tops onto the bottles so that your toddler cannot take them off. Be sure to keep the hot glue away from your little one). When all the bottles are filled, your toddler can shake them. Talk about how each one sounds. Do they sound different? Do any of them sound the same?
Skills Targeted: teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot language development, teach your tot to count, teach your tot to compare and contrast




Whose Ears are Those?
Materials: pictures of animals, pictures of animals' ears
Description: Print or draw pictures of several different animals. Print of draw pictures of the same animals' ears. Show your toddler a picture of the ears and see if they can guess who the ears belong to. They can place the ears on the correct animal picture. Talk about the color and sizes of the different ears. You could make this into a file folder game by gluing the pictures of the animals to the inside of a file folder and giving your toddler a bag full of ears to match to each animal (as shown below).
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to match pairs, teach you r tot sensory development, teach your tot language development, teach your tot color recognition




Outside Sounds:
Description: Go outside and sit with your toddler. Quietly listen to the sounds around you. Have your toddler tell you some of the sounds that they hear. You could even take pictures of some of the things that you hear. Show your toddler these pictures later and have them try to make their sounds.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot language development




Eyes, and EARS, and mouth and nose:
Description: Sing, with your toddler, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes (words below under Songs and Fingerplays). Have your little one point to each body part as you sing it.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to recognize and name parts of their body, teach your tot language development

What Animal do you hear?
Description: Talk to your toddler about their ears and that we use our ears to hear. Tell your toddler that you will make some animal sounds and they need to use their ears to listen to the sounds. One by one, make different animal sounds for your toddler and see if your toddler can name the animal. You could place pictures of animals in a pile and have your toddler pick the correct animal to match the sound that you make.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot animal sounds, teach your tot language development




My senses:
Materials: draw or print a picture of an ear, eyes, nose, mouth, and hands, popsicle sticks, glue
Description: Draw or print from clip art pictures of an ear, eye, nose, mouth and hand. Cut out the pictures and glue a Popsicle stick to the back of each one. Sing the song My Senses found below under Songs and Fingerplays. As you sing about each different body part, have your toddler hold up the picture of that body part.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot language development, teach your tot about their body, teach your tot their 5 senses



Songs and Fingerplays:

My senses:
Sung to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb

I use my ears to hear,
ears to hear,
ears to hear.
I use my ears to hear many different sounds.

I use my mouth to taste,
mouth to taste,
mouth to taste.
I use my mouth to taste many different foods.

I use my nose to smell,
nose to smell,
nose to smell.
I use my nose to smell many different smells.

I use eyes to see,
eyes to see,
eyes to see.
I use my eyes to see many different sights.

I use my hands to touch,
hands to touch,
hands to touch.
I use my hands to touch many different things.


Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes:

Head, shoulders, knees, and toes
knees and toes
Head, shoulders, knees, and toes
knees and toes.
Eyes and Ears and Mouth and Nose
Head, shoulders, knees and toes

Ears, Ears, Ears
Sung to the tune of Jingle Bells

Ears Ears Ears
Ears Ears Ears
My ears help me hear
things like bells
cars and trucks
cats, dogs, and ducks.

Ears ears ears
Ears ears ears
I have two ears
on my head
is where they rest
ears are the best.

2 Little Ears:
Sung to the tune of 10 Little Indians

1 little 2 little ears on my head
they help me hear, that's what my mom says.
I like my ears because I can hear
my mommy say, "I love you dear!"

Online Fun:

Sesame Street Videos:

Brian and Kermit's faces
Kermit and Chris Count Ears

Games:
The Music Instruments Game at Fisher Price

Recipes and Snacks:

Pancake Face:
Ingredients: pancake mix, banana slices, raisins, marshmallows, apple slices
Directions: Make pancake according to packaging directions. Place the pancake on a plate along with two banana slices (ears), one apple slice (mouth), two raisins (eyes) and a marshmallow (nose). Give the plate to your toddler and have them create a face using the fruits and marshmallow. As they place each piece of food on their pancake have them name the body part and what it does.

Popcorn:
Ingredients: popcorn
Directions: Pop popcorn according to packaging directions. As the popcorn is popping have your toddler listen to it pop. See if they can count the pops (in the beginning). Ask them to make the sound of popcorn popping.

1 comment:

Bekah said...

Awesome!!! Love your ideas! New follower of your blog - stopping by from Milk 'N' Honey. :)

~Bekah @SonshineTotSchool.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...