Thursday, August 25, 2011

Getting Dressed

Book Suggestions:

Froggy Gets Dressed by Jonathon London
Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems
Dress Maisy by Lucy Cousins
Princess Bess Gets Dressed by Margery Cuyler
Smelly Socks by Robert Munsch
Ella Sarah Gets Dressed by Margaret Chodos-Irvine
Ruby's Rainy Day by Rosemary Wells
Clothes by Liesbet Slegers
Animals Should definitely Not Wear Clothing by Judi Barrett

Activities:

Sort Clothes:
Materials: several shirts, shorts, socks, bathing suits, underwear
Description: Place all the clothes into a pile. Have your toddler pick one article of clothing at a time and put it in the correct pile or basket. Shirts go together, shorts go together etc.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot math skills, teach your tot to sort, teach your tot to follow directions

Dress Themselves:
Description: Each morning allow your toddler to pick out their own clothes. Help them dress themselves. You can sing songs with them as they put on each article of clothing. (See I Can Dress Myself in songs and fingerplays). You could print this song and tape it somewhere in your child's room so that you can sing it everyday as you help them dress themselves.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to dress themselves, teach your tot motor skills, teach your tot life skills

Draw and Dress:
Materials: large piece of paper, markers, crayons, construction paper.
Description: Have your toddler lay down (on their back) on a large piece of paper. Trace their body onto the paper. Cut a shirt, pants, socks, and shoes from construction paper. Your toddler can decorate or color these if they want. Have your toddler glue each article of clothing onto the paper drawing of them. They can also add eyes, nose, mouth, and hair to the drawing. Label each article of clothing when they are finished.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot about their own body, teach your tot how to dress themselves

Label Drawers:
Materials: index cards, makers or crayons
Description: With your toddler, open each drawer in your toddler's dresser. Have your toddler name the article of clothes that are in each drawer. Write the name and draw a picture of each article of clothing on index cards. Tape or tack the correct index card to the appropriate drawer. This way your child knows what drawer their clothes are in.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot life skills, teach your tot to recognize pictures, teach your tot language development

Dress a Doll:
Materials: baby doll, baby doll clothes
Description: Have your toddler practice dressing a baby doll. As they do this, talk about each article of clothing and where it goes on the doll.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to get dressed, teach your tot motor skills, teach your tot language development

Paper Dolls:
Materials: cardboard or foam, scissors, paper, Velcro, glue
Description: Cut out a doll shape from a piece of cardboard or craft foam. Cut out several shirts, shorts, pants, skirts, socks and shoes from construction paper or craft foam. Glue a piece of Velcro to the dolls chest, legs and feet. Glue the other side of the Velcro to each piece of clothing so that when you put it against the doll it sticks. (You could also use small magnets or tape). As your toddler plays with their paper doll, talk about the different articles of clothing.
I found this foam doll kit at Joann Fabric
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to get dressed, teach your tot life skills, teach your tot motor skills, teach your tot to play

Decorate your own shirt:
Materials: shirt, fabric art supplies (puffy paint, iron-ons, etc)
Description: Place a piece of cardboard in the middle of the shirt. Have your toddler decorate the shirt using fabric art supplies such as puffy paint. You can add an iron-on to the shirt as well. Your toddler will love wearing their own designer shirt!
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to create, teach your tot motor skills

Dress for the Occasion:
Materials: Clothes
Description: We all wear different clothes for different occasions and different weather. Throughout the week, you and your toddler can dress for a real or pretend occasion. For example, if your little one is involved in dance have them pick out their tights, leotard, and tutu and put it on. If it is raining outside, see if your toddler can pick out the appropriate clothes. Help them put on their raincoats and rain boots. Even if it is not cold where you live yet, you can pretend, and have your toddler pick out winter clothes. Help them put on their pants, jackets, hats and gloves. You could even dress for your favorite sporting event. You could dress for a different occasion or weather each day.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to get dressed, teach your tot life skills, teach your tot about the weather, teach your tot to problem solve

Dress up Party:
Description: Invite some of your toddler's friends over for a dress up party. You can come up with a theme (such as rainy day clothes or dressy clothes) and everyone can dress accordingly. You could provide a basket of dress-up play clothes for the children to play with at the party as well.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to be a friend, teach your tot motor skills, teach your tot to play, teach your tot to share

Count the Clothes:
Materials: at least 10 shirts or other article of clothes (you could also cut clothes out of construction paper), string, clothes pins.
Description: String a clothes line either outside or inside your house. Have your toddler help you hang up at least 10 articles of clothes or construction paper clothes on the clothes line using clothes pins. Help your toddler count the clothes each day. You could even write the numbers on index cards and pin them to each article of clothing so that your toddler can also practice number recognition as they count.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to count, teach your tot to get dressed, teach your tot to recognize articles of clothing, teach your tot number recognition

Wash Clothes:
Description: Have your toddler help you wash your laundry during the week. They can hand you clothes to put into the washing machine (count each piece as they hand it to you). They can even help you measure and pour the detergent. Explain to them that clothes get dirty so they need to be washed. Your toddler could help you fold the laundry and put it away, into their newly labeled dressers drawers.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot life skills, teach your tot math skills, teach your tot to count, teach your tot to measure, teach your tot motor skills

Dress Alike:
Description: Your kids or you and your little one can pick out clothes that are similar and dress alike one day this week. Talk about the things that are the same and the things that are different about your outfits.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to compare and contrast, teach your tot the opposites same and different, teach your tot to match

Dress in Colors:
Description: You and your toddler can pick a different color each day and dress in that color! Have your little one go through their closet and find clothes that are the “color of the day.” While they are putting on their color clothes, teach them how to dress themselves.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to recognize colors, teach your tot to match colors, teach your tot to get dressed, teach your tot motor skill development, teach your tot to make choices

Songs and Fingerplays:

I Can Dress Myself:
sung to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb

I pull my shirt over my head,
over my head, over my head.
I pull my shirt over my head
with the tag in back.

I put my arms through each hole
through each hole, through each hole.
I put my arms through each hole.
I can dress myself.

I put one leg into my pants (or you can sing shorts)
into my pants, into my pants.
I put one leg into my pants.
Then I put the other leg.

I pull my pants up to my waist,
to my waist, to my waist.
I pull my pants up to my waist.
Then I zip and button (or snap) them.

I pull one sock on then the other,
then the other, then the other.
I pull one sock on then the other.
Now I have on two socks.

I slip my right foot into my right shoe,
into my right shoe, into my right shoe.
I slip my right foot into my right shoe.
My mom (or dad, grandma, grandpa etc) helps me tie (or Velcro) them.

I slip my left foot into my left shoe,
into my left shoe, into my left shoe.
I slip my left foot into my left shoe.
My mom helps me tie (or Velcro) them.

I can get dressed by myself,
by myself, by myself.
I can get dressed by myself.
I am a big girl/boy!

Dress for the season:
Sung to the tune of Jingle Bells

Hats and gloves
pants and coats
is what I wear
In the winter
when it’s cold
and snow is everywhere.

Shorts and shirts
rain boots too
I wear in the spring.
When it gets warmer
and rains a lot
I like to dance and sing.

Bathing suits
and sun hats,
I wear when it’s hot.
In the summer
I keep cool
by swimming a lot.

Long sleeve shirts
and blue jeans
I wear in the fall.
The cool breezes
blow my way
when autumn calls.

I have a little hat:

I have a little hat
that I wear on head
to keep the sun out of my eyes.
I also have a hat
that I wear on my head
to keep me warm and dry.

I have two mittens
that I wear on my hands to play,
When it’s cold outside
and snows all day.

I have two boots
that I wear to keep my toes dry.
When it rains all day
but I still want to play outside.

I have a scarf
that I wear to help keep me warm.
I wrap around and around my neck
when the cold winds swarm.

I have a coat
that I wear on really cold days.
It’s soft and big and keeps me warm
when I go outside to play.

I have a bathing suit
that I wear on many summer days.
To keep cool when it’s hot,
in a pool is where I stay.

Online Fun:

Dress-up:
Nick Jr. has some fun dress up games for you and your toddler to play together!

Dress Elmo for Fall. Play this game at www.Sesamestreet.org.

Videos:
Watch "I Put My Legs in My Pants" at SesameStreet.org.

Recipes:

Gingerbread Cookies:
Ingredients: gingerbread cookies (homemade or store bought), icing, zip lock bag
Directions: Your toddler can draw clothes onto a gingerbread cookie using icing and a zip lock bag. Cut off one of the corners of the zip lock bag, add icing to the bag and close. Squeeze the icing into the cut corner and it will come out of the opening. Your toddler can use it to add a shirt, pants, socks, and a hat to their gingerbread man. You can make different color icing by adding food coloring to the icing in each zip lock bag.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...