Friday, August 19, 2011

Eyes and Seeing

Eyes and Seeing




Book Suggestions:

Eyes by Simona Sideri
The Eye Book by Dr. Seuss
Fish Eyes by Lois Ehlert
I Spy by Jean Marzolla
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See? By Eric Carle
Peek-a-boo, I See You by Wendy Lewison
Can You See What I See? by Walter Wick
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What do you See? By Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle

Activities:

I Spy:
Description: Find a favorite spot outside or inside to sit with your toddler. Explain to them how to play the game "I Spy." You can start by saying "I spy something...". Have your toddler look all around them and try to guess what you are spying. Keep giving more and more clues about what the object looks like. As you are playing, ask them what part of their body they are using to see.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot to observe and discover, teach your tot language skills

Head Shoulders Knees and Toes (eyes too):
Description: Sing Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes (words found below under Songs and Fingerplays). Point to each body part as you sing this song.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot the parts of their body, teach your tot motor skill development

I see a _______.
Materials: large pictures of animals, shapes, colors or anything that your toddler is interested in.
Description: Provide several pictures for your toddler (these pictures can be of animals, shapes, colors, ABCs, etc). Hold up one picture at a time and have your toddler identify the picture. When they have completed all of the pictures, talk with your child about what body part they had to use to see these pictures.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to observe, teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot parts of their body, teach your tot language development
Nature Color Hunt:
Materials: paper, glue, items from your nature walk, a bucket
Description: Take your toddler on a walk around your neighborhood or even just through your own backyard (bring a bucket). As you walk around, ask your toddler to tell you some of the things that they see. Now ask your toddler to find something green. Have your collect something green. Now ask your toddler to find something brown and have them put it in their bucket. Do this again and again for a variety of different colors. When you return home, have your toddler empty their bucket and recall all the things that they found. Glue the items on a piece of paper and have your little one tell you what color each item is. Write the color words under each item.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to appreciate nature, teach your tot color recognition, teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot motor skill development, teach your tot listening skills, teach your tot to follow directions
Draw a Smiley Face:
Materials: paper, pencil
Description: This would be a great week to teach your toddler how to draw a simple smiley face.
Here is a little poem to help your toddler remember the parts of a face:
Draw a circle, around and around.
Make two dots, your face can see now.
One more dot makes a nose to smell.
Draw a smile, to show you're happy and well.

When you and your toddler draw a face, point to the eyes and ask your child to identify them. Talk with your child about what our eyes are used for.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot the parts of the body, teach your tot motor skill development, teach your tot to be creative

Find Matches:
Materials: construction paper, scissors
Description: Cut out two red circles, two blue squares, two green triangles, two yellow rectangles, two orange ovals, two white diamonds. Hold in your hand, one of each of the shapes and lay the other shapes out on the ground across a room inside or across your yard. Hold up one shape and have your toddler look at it carefully and identify the shape and color. Now they will run over to the other shapes and choose the matching shape. Continue doing this with all the shapes.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to be active, teach your tot shape recognition, teach your tot color recognition, teach your tot to follow directions, teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot motor skill development
Play dough Face:
Materials: play dough
Description: Help your toddler make a face out of play dough. As you work together, talk about each part of the face. When you get to the eyes spend extra time talking about what our eyes are used for. You could even take a minute and ask your toddler what things they see around them at that moment.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot motor skill development, teach your tot the parts of the body
Silly Pictures:
Materials: photographs, glue, googly eyes
Description: Take several photos of you toddler or use some that you already have printed. You could also have your toddler take pictures of you. As they are doing this, ask them what body part they are using to look through the camera. Show the pictures to your toddler and have them point out everyone's eyes in the photo. Your toddler can emphasize the eyes by gluing googly eyes on top of each eye in the picture. This is fun and the pictures look silly!
Skills Targeted: teach your tot the parts of the body, teach your tot sensory development
Take Pictures:
Materials: Camera
Description: Take your child outside. Take a few minutes to look around and talk about the things that your child sees. Ask your toddler what part of their body helps them see. Next help your toddler take pictures of some of the things that they see (they can point out objects to take pictures and you can take the pictures, or show them how to use the camera). Print the pictures on your home printer or at your local photo center. Show the pictures to your toddler and talk about the things that they see in the pictures. You could glue the pictures onto a piece of poster board and label each picture.
Skills Targeted: teach your tot to observe and discover, teach your tot to retell, teach your tot sensory development
For younger toddlers:
*Have your little one point to their eyes.
*Take your toddler outside and have them point to different objects. (Example: Where is the tree? Where is the sky?)
*Make a photo book of family members or friends that your toddler loves. Put photos into a small 4X6 album. Look at the album with your toddler telling them the names of everyone in the pictures.
*Put your toddler in front of a mirror. Have them look at different parts of their body in the mirror.

Songs and Fingerplays:

Head Shoulders Knees and Toes:

Head shoulders knees and toes
knees and toes
Head shoulders knees and toes
knees and toes.
Eyes and ears and mouth and nose
Head shoulders knees and toes
knees and toes

5 Senses:
(sung to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb)

On my face, I have two eyes,
have two eyes, have two eyes.
On my face, I have two eyes.
My eyes help me see.

On my face, I have a nose,
have a nose, have a nose.
On my face, I have a nose.
My nose helps me smell.

On my face, I have a mouth,
Have a mouth, have a mouth.
On my face, I have a mouth.
My mouth helps me taste.

On my head, I have two ears.
Have two ears, have two ears.
On my head, I have two ears.
My ears help me hear.

On my body I have two hands,
have two hands, have to hands.
On my body I have two hands.
My hands help me touch.

My Eyes:
(Sung to the tune of How Much is that Doggy in the Window)

My eyes help to see the world around me.
The beautiful trees and the sky.
I love to look at all the flowers.
And watch all the cars passing by.

My eyes help to see the world around me.
The tiniest bug on the tree.
I can watch the sun setting.
Because of my eyes, I can see.

Do you Know What Eyes can do?
(Sung to the tune of Do you Know the Muffin Man?)

Do you know what your eyes do?
What your eyes do? What your eyes do?
Do you know what your eyes do?
Your eyes help you see.

What do you see in your room?
In your room? In your room?
What do you see in your room?
Tell me what you see.
(Have your toddler name several things that they see in their room or the room you are in)

(Look out the window)
What do you see outside?
Outside? Outside?
What do you see outside?
Tell me what you see.
(Have your child tell you things that they see looking outside)

Online Fun:

Videos:
Here are some fun videos found at http://www.sesamestreet.org/
Picasso's Face
Grover's Body Parts
Eye Examination


Make your own Face:
Print this fun wacky face from http://www.crayola.com/. Your toddler can pick the eyes, nose and mouth they want to create their own silly face.

Recipes and Snacks:

Pancake Face:

Ingredients: Pancake mix, banana, raisins, Cheerios, apple
Directions: Make pancakes according to directions on the box of pancake mix. Slice a banana and have your toddler place the banana circles for the eyes (talk about your eyes and what they do). Use a cheerio for the nose and have your toddler put it in place (talk about your nose and what it does). Line up raisins to make a smiley face (talk about your mouth and what it does). Last, slice an apple and have your toddler place the apple onto the pancake for ears (talk about your ears and what they do).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...