Thursday, June 16, 2011

sense of smell/noses

Book Suggestions:

Little Bunny Follows His Nose by Katherine Howard
The Nose Book by Al Perkins
Toes, Ears, and Nose by Marion Dane Bauer
Whose Nose and Toes by John Butler
The Holes in Your Nose by Genichiro Yagyu
The Biggest Nose by Kathy Caple
Button Nose by Nina Laden
My Nose by Llyod G. Douglas

Activities:

Smell Test:
Materials: a variety of things that smell
Description: Place a variety of things that smell in front of your toddler (ex. flowers, different foods and drinks, etc. Be sure everything is safe to smell). Have your toddler take turns smelling the different objects. Talk about how each object smells.
Skills Targeted: sensory development, language enhancement

Shape Face:
Materials: construction paper, scissors, glue
Description: From construction paper, Cut a large circle (for the face), and a variety of other smaller shapes (for the eyes, nose, ears, and mouth). Show the large circle to your toddler first and have them identify the shape. Next have your toddler pick which shapes they want to use for the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears and glue them on to make the face. Have your toddler identify each shape as they are gluing them. When they are finished ask your toddler to find the nose. Talk about what our noses help us do.
Skills Targeted: sensory development, body part recognition, shape recognition, language development
N if for Nose:
Materials: picture of a nose (clip art), marker
Description: Print a large picture of a nose from clip art and cut it out. Show the nose to your toddler and talk about it with them. Have them find their nose. Say the word nose over and over and tell your little one that the word nose begins with N. Write a big letter N on the picture of the nose. Refer to this throughout the week and practice saying the N sound over and over.
(You can hang this up with your other letter/pictures for your toddler to see and refer to often.)
Skills Targeted: letter recognition, letter sound identification

Magnetic face:
Materials: cardstock or other heavy paper, scissors, magnets
Description: Draw or print from clip art a variety of eyes, noses, mouths, and ears onto heavy cardstock paper. Cut them out and glue or stick a magnet on the back of each piece. Put all of the pieces onto the refrigerator or chalkboard for your toddler to play with throughout the week. Encourage your little one to use the facial body parts to make unique faces over and over again. Talk with your toddler, as they do this. Have them identify each piece and what each facial body part does. Concentrate on the nose, since it is nose week!
Skills Targeted: sensory development, body part identification, language development

Nose Masks:
Materials: silly nose masks (such as pig nose or elephant nose) or a variety of different noses printed or drawn onto paper, popsicle sticks, scissors, glue
Description: Provide a variety of silly noses for your toddler to play with. You can either get a few noses from the store (the kind with string that will attach around your toddler's head) or you can make your own. Print a variety of different noses from clip art and cut them out. Have your toddler help you glue each nose onto popsicle sticks. See if your toddler can identify what each nose belongs to. (for ex. elephant, pig, person etc.) Hold the popsicle sticks and put the noses in front of your nose, like a mask and pretend to be each animal. Talk with your toddler about how noses are for smelling.
Skill Targeted: language development, body part recognition, sensory development

Blow your nose:
Materials: Kleenex
Description: This would be a great week to teach your toddler how to blow their nose. Use a Kleenex and help your toddler practice blowing into it.
Skills Targeted: life skills

Matching Noses:
Materials: pictures of animals, scissors, glue
Description: Draw or print a variety of animals pictures ( print two copies for each animal).. Cut out the noses from one copy. Help your toddler match each cut out nose to the correct animal. Your little one can glue the correct nose on top of the one that is already there. Talk about each animal and what their nose is used for.
Skills Targeted: body part identification, matching, language development

Different Noses:
Materials: paper, marker, several craft items to use as noses (button, pompom, sequence, etc)
Description: Draw several faces on a piece of paper, leaving the noses off. Give the paper to your toddler and see if they can figure out what is missing from each face. Count the faces together. Provide several craft items for your toddler such as buttons, pompoms, sequence etc. Your little one can glue these items on to each face for the noses. Talk about what your nose is used for.
Skills Targeted: body part recognition, counting, language development, sensory development


Your Nose Helps You Breathe:
Description: Talk with your toddler about their nose and what it does. Noses help us breathe. Have your toddler place their finger under their nose and breathe in and out. They can feel the air on their finger. Talk with your child about what they feel on their finger when they breathe.
Skills Targeted: language development, sensory development

Mr. Potato Head:
Materials: Mr. Potato Head or make your own from paper
Description: This would be a great week to play with Mr. Potato Head. As you and your toddler play together, talk about each piece that you put on your Mr. Potato Head. Focus on the nose and have your toddler help Mr. Potato Head to smell different things around your house. If you do not have a Mr. Potato Head, you can make your own by cutting brown cardstock or construction paper and glue the different body parts on.
Skills Targeted: sensory development, body part recognition, pretend play

Songs and Fingerplays:

Noses, Noses, Noses
(Sung to the tune of Jingle Bells)

Noses, noses, noses
Noses, noses, noses
Noses help us breathe.
Air goes in
Out it goes
We can breathe with our nose.

Noses, noses, noses
Noses, noses, noses
Noses help us smell.
Sniff sniff sniff
A pretty flower
Smell things sweet and sour.

Noses, noses, noses
Noses, noses, noses
Noses big and small
Everyone has a nose
but they look different on us all.

My Nose:

(sung to the tune of Old McDonald)

On my face, I have a nose
Sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff
My nose helps me to smell a rose
Sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff
When my nose is runny and I have a cold
sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff
I blow my nose, so I've been told
Sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff
My nose helps me to breathe in and out
Sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff
My nose is important, there's no doubt
Sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff

My Senses:
(sung to the tune of For He's a Jolly Good Fellow)

I have two eyes on my face
I have two eyes on my face
I have two eyes on my face
They help me see.

I have a nose on my face
I have a nose on my face
I have a nose on my face
It helps me smell.

I have a mouth on my face
I have a mouth on my face
I have a mouth on my face
It helps me taste.

I have two ears on my head
I have two ears on my head
I have two ears on my head
They help me hear.

I have two hands on my body
I have two hands on my body
I have two hands on my body
They help me touch.

Online Fun:

Videos:

Visit Sesame Street for these fun videos about noses!

Noses on Animals, Noses on Man

Everythings Coming up Noses

Big Round Nose

Recipes and Snacks:

Bake with your toddler this week and talk about the smells that they smell while cooking.

Pancake Face:
Ingredients: Pancake mix, bananas (sliced), apple slice, raisins,
Directions: Prepare pancakes with your toddler (not letting them get close to the hot stove). Give your toddler several banana slices, apple slices, and raisins. Have your toddler use these fruits to make eyes, nose, a mouth, and ears on their pancake. Talk about the nose, what they used for it, and what a nose does. Have your toddler smell their pancake and the syrup also. How does it smell?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...